Sunday, November 30, 2008

Different Kind of Thanksgiving

This year on Thanksgiving all the married kids visited their in-laws. So, Greg, Melissa, and I went to two different dinners. We spent some time at my parents' house where there were only 12 of us. We all sat at one table!! It was very nice to have a more quiet meal, although we missed seeing all those who weren't there.

Then we had a meal at Rose's house. There were only 6 of us there. It was great visiting with Kathy and Randy. Randy made an interesting comment while we were there. For those of you who don't know, Randy developed a very mysterious illness a few years ago that totally destroyed his nervous system for a while. He was in the hospital for months in a coma, on life support. After many weeks he opened his eyes and started to come back. Now he still has some side effects, but is doing so much better. He can walk and talk normally. Fine motor skills still are hard for him.

Anyway, I told him that my dad isn't feeling all that great and is discouraged. He said that since he has seen the "other side" he feels sorry for anyone who has a poor quality of life here. I don't know anyone who has come closer to dying than Randy. I'm glad to hear that he thinks the "other side" is great!!

Greg and I got engaged on Thanksgiving weekend in 1977. I can hardly believe that 31 years have gone by.

It's been fun having Melissa home, although I know that being here is so boring for her.


2 comments:

Deborah Raymond said...

Terri... congratulations for 31 years... sounds like a sweet day! What a special family you have!

ronda said...

Awesome...31 years...I remember when you and Greg were dating. It really does not seem that long ago! I am so glad you found Greg..or He found you! He is the best!